The JCCSF has two venues in which it displays artwork. Please review the Katz Snyder Gallery and the JCCSF Café submission guidelines below before submitting artwork and reference for which venue you are submitting.
For other information about the exhibits or our gallery please contact Lenore Naxon at email@example.com.
Katz Snyder Gallery
If you are an artist and would like to introduce JCCSF curators to your work please follow the guidelines below:
- You may submit samples of your work in the form of slides, photographs, pamphlets, catalogs or a URL where we can view the work online. Please label your slides or photographs with the artist's name, title of the work, date and dimensions. We cannot accept actual works of art.
- Include a cover letter introducing yourself and the images you are submitting for review. If you are the artist of the work, please give a brief description of your project. Please let us know if there is any specific feedback you are seeking.
- Send your material to: Lenore D. Naxon, Director, Eugene & Elinor Friend Center for the Arts, Jewish Community Center of San Francisco, 3200 California Street, San Francisco, CA 94118. You can also email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope if you would like your materials returned. Phone calls are not accepted.
The process of reviewing your slides or photographs may take up to several months. You will receive a letter after we have had a chance to look at your images.
We cannot make studio visits, see the work in person or make visits to private collections during the initial phase of the review. If there is sufficient interest we will contact you about any further steps.
While we are happy to review your work, our exhibition schedule is planned approximately two years in advance, and is carefully balanced to present our viewers with a varied program. Therefore, we are rarely able to accommodate unsolicited submissions for exhibitions.
Type of Work
Artists may be either amateur/aspiring or professional. The media may include any 2-D art forms such as paintings, prints, drawing or photos. Exhibits are to be one primary medium per exhibit (all paintings, all drawings, all color photos, all prints, etc.). A maximum of eight works can be displayed at once, each up to 30” X 48”. Artwork must be ready to hang when delivered to the JCCSF.
Desired Subject Matter
Appetizing food imagery that relates to the café’s actual offerings is ideal, and would include imagery such as
- local farmer’s markets
- local produce farms
- fishing / fishing boats
- cheese, wine and beer making
- landscapes of food being grown for harvest, such as vineyards
- travel photos of beautiful, fresh and clean looking food in markets and/or exotic shops
- food photography: still life setups, close-ups/macro
- people eating, shopping for food, preparing and/or cooking food
- adults drinking wine, coffee, beer, and kids drinking milk
- families, kids, adults socializing (ideally around some food)
Inappropriate Subject Matter
- hunger and disease
- dirt and insects
- animals, wild or domestic
- general landscapes
- general people studies and/or portraits
Selected artists will into contract with the JCCSF for the exhibition of their work. Artwork may be available for sale: The JCCSF will retain a 40% commission on any work sold or orders taken pursuant to the exhibition. Each show is promoted on the JCCSF website and in various online publications. Opening events are possible but not mandatory.
Artists should send their artist statement, contact information and a short biography with their submission, which must be made digitally and sent to Lenore Naxon, Director, Eugene & Elinor Friend Center for the Arts, at email@example.com. Phone calls are not accepted.
Please allow six to eight weeks for a response to your submission. There will be a jury process for selecting works. Due to the high volume of applications, please understand that you will only receive a response to your submission if your work is chosen for exhibition. Selected work is subject to gallery schedule availability.